Veterans Come First!
Veterans Priority of Service
Niagara County is proud to offer Priority of Service to veterans and their eligible spouses. What does this mean? If you served in the military, you will be:
- Served first by the next available staff member.
- Given first priority for jobs and training for which you are eligible and qualified.
US Customs and Border Patrol currently hiring for Border Patrol Agents and Custom and Border Protection Officers....and are giving Veterans preference in their hiring process!
Our New York State Career Centers are staffed with specially trained personnel that are dedicated to servicing veterans.
Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program Specialists (DVOPs)
Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program specialists are disabled veterans themselves. They provide intensive case management services to veterans with significant barriers to employment, special disabled and disabled veterans, and veterans ages 18 to 24. They also provide a full range of employment services, including comprehensive assessments, individual employment plans, job referrals, referrals to training and support services, and resume and interview preparation assistance.
Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVERs)
Local Veterans Employment Representatives are also veterans. They specialize in advocating on behalf of veterans with business, industry, and community organizations to promote employment and training opportunities for veterans. They also provide services including job matching and job placement for veterans, conduct employer outreach, inform Federal contractors of the process to hire qualified veterans, and promote credentialing and licensing opportunities for veterans.
In Niagara County....
NYS Veterans Temporary Hiring Program
Did you serve active duty after September 11, 2001? You may qualify for the NYS Veterans Temporary Hiring Program.
The Veterans Temporary Hiring Program Portal provides a centralized location for qualifying Veterans to submit up-to-date employment and contact information for consideration by New York State agencies interested in filling temporary employment assignments.
Visit http://www.cs.ny.gov/vetportal/ to complete your online application for these positions and to view available jobs. Your application will be kept on file for future job opportunities as well.
To apply, you will need:
- Your Social Security number
- DD214 showing reason for discharge as other than “Dishonorable”
- Your resume
Security Guard Training through Experience Counts Initiative
Are you a Veteran who is interested in training as a Security Guard or Armed Security Guard?
If you completed certain training courses during your Military service, you may qualify for training as a Security Guard or Armed Security Guard, at no cost to you. The online training will be completed at Niagara's WorkSourceOne One-Stop Center, and fingerprinting will be required as part of your licensing application.
View and print the application
Training is sponsored by the New York State Department of Labor and federal Workforce Investment Act funding.
Niagara County Veterans Service Agency
"Thank-A-Vet" Discount Programs
Veterans Outreach Center, Inc.
Supportive Services to Veteran Families
- Have you served in the military?
- Are you Homeless or at risk of Homelessness?
- Veterans Outreach Center Buffalo
403 Main Street, Suite 320, Buffalo, NY 14203
10 great reasons why hiring a Veteran may be best for your Company!
Resources for Veteran Service Organizations and Benefits
Gold Card Services for Post-911 Veterans
The Gold Card provides unemployed post-9/11 era veterans with the intensive and follow-up services they need to succeed in today's job market. The Gold Card initiative is a joint effort of the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS).
An eligible veteran can present the Gold Card at his/her local One-Stop Career Center to receive enhanced intensive services including up to six months of follow-up. The enhanced in-person services available for Gold Card holders at local One-Stop Career Centers may include:
- Job readiness assessment, including interviews and testing;
- Development of an Individual Development Plan (IDP);
- Career guidance through group or individual counseling that helps veterans in making training and career decisions;
- Provision of labor market, occupational, and skills transferability information that inform educational, training, and occupational decisions;
- Referral to job banks, job portals, and job openings;
- Referral to employers and registered apprenticeship sponsors;
- Referral to training by WIA-funded or third party service providers; and
- Monthly follow-up by an assigned case manager for up to six months.
SKILLS CENTER at the VA Medical Center
- The Skills Center is located in room 309A of the VA Medical Center, 3495 Bailey Avenue, Buffalo
- Hours of Operation; M, Tu, Th & F from 8am - 4pm, W from 8am - 2:30pm
- Provides assistance with;
- Writing a Resume
- TASC (GED) preparation
- Intro to the Internet
- College Entrance Preparation Typing Tutor
- Increasing Vocabulary Skills, Introduction to Computers, Math Skills
- Grammar and Spelling
Veterans One-stop Center of WNY, Inc.
Veterans One-stop Center of WNY, Inc. is located at 1280 Main St. 2nd Floor, Buffalo, NY 14209.
"The VOC of WNY is an independent, nonprofit collaborative, that will offer U.S. veterans, service members, and their families the convenience of a barrier-free “one-stop” location to access coordinated, individualized and integrated social, health, educational, economic, and supportive services.
Services include accredited benefits counseling; employment resources & services; peer mentoring; readjustment, behavioral, and mental health counseling; legal services & veterans treatment court mentorship; financial counseling & coaching; education resources & services; and housing & emergency services."
Starting and Managing Your Own Business - One Day Workshop through SCORE
- The workshop fee is waived for US Veterans with ID.
- More information can be found HERE
Smart Phone browser e-tool:
Veterans Job Search
Additional Resources and Links for Veterans:
Thank you for your service!